Each film coated tablets contains:
|Olmesartan Medoxomil IP 20 mg |
Olmesartan Medoxomil IP 40 mg
Olmesartan medoxomil belongs to the class of angiotensin - 2 receptor blocker. It is used in the management of the hypertension .
- Rise in blood pressure due to diseases like stroke, kidneys problems, heart attacks
- Type -2 diabetes associated with nephropathy.
Mechanism of Action
Olmesartan blocks the RAAS system which plays important role in maintaining hemostatis , regulation of the kidney , vascular functions . olmesartan inhibits activation of RAAS system by blocking the AT1 receptor which inhibits binding of the angiotensin to angiotensin receptor i.e AT1 and prevents the angiotensin -2 mediated effects such as vasoconstriction, synthesis of aldosterone , renal absorption of sodium .
Its absorption is rapid and complete from the GI tract
It is about 99% bound to plasma proteins
It is metabolized to olmesartan and undergoes ester hydrolysis
It is excreted unchanged in the urine.
- Decrease urination
- Mild headache
- Increase heart rate
- Swelling in the hands and feet
- Contraindicated in pregnancy
- Contraindicated in renal artery stenosis
- Contraindicated in acute kidney failure